Sausage and peppers kind of go together like peanut butter and jelly. I find that roasting peppers right on the stove top makes such a difference rather than using the jarred variety. This hearty pasta dish is simple to make and is perfect for a crowd. Here is my recipe:
- 3 medium bell peppers, I used red, orange, and yellow
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 pound farfalle
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup of pasta water (don’t forget)
- Salt and Pepper
1. Place peppers on direct flame of the stove top, rotate to ensure even charring. Once barely recognizable (this will take about 15 to 20 minutes). Transfer to a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; steam 2 to 3 minutes. Using a paper towel, rub off pepper skins, reserving any juices in bowl. Thinly slice peppers crosswise into 1/4-inch strips; return to bowl. Set aside.
2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat. Cook sausage, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add sliced red onion to the skillet. Sautee for about 5 -8 minutes until caramelized. Add roasted peppers; cook until heated through. Add sausage back in.
4. Transfer onions and peppers to bowl with sausage ; add pasta, butter, reserved pasta water, and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.